Whether you are into house or alternative rock, making your own music sound professional definitely requires the right software. It’s not like you just have to plug in a microphone and start singing, right? Every musician knows there is way more to it than that!
If you need features allowing you total control over recording and mastering your tracks, then the Linux Multimedia Studio is for you. Equipped with powerful plug-ins and functions, you can record your music like a pro at the best price possible – FREE.
The Linux Multimedia Studio (LMMS) lets you arrange samples and beats to create your own music, pretty much like FL Studio. This includes the creation of melodies and beats, the synthesis and mixing of sounds, and arranging of samples. You can have fun with your MIDI-keyboard and much more; all in a user-friendly and modern interface.
LMMS also allows you to use your MIDI keyboard to create songs. Here’s a list of features from the software’s website:
- Song-Editor for composing songs
- A Beat+Bassline-Editor for creating beats and basslines
- An easy-to-use Piano-Roll for editing patterns and melodies
- An FX mixer with 64 FX channels and arbitrary number of effects allow unlimited mixing possibilities
- Many powerful instrument and effect-plugins out of the box
- Full user-defined track-based automation and computer-controlled automation sources
- Compatible with many standards such as SoundFont2, VST(i), LADSPA, GUS Patches, and MIDI
- Import of MIDI and FLP (Fruityloops® Project) files
Aside from importing audio files and other samples, you can also create your own using the built-in soft synths. This is very helpful especially for music enthusiasts who want to tweak around with their own music.
The software not only appeals to music enthusiasts, but is also a great audio editor. Beginners, advanced users and even professionals would definitely enjoy using LMMS. Unlike Audacity (another open-source audio editor), LMMS offers more features and support for other files. It is also quite easy to use, and before you even know it, you’re already making your own beats and music.
LMMS is available for Windows and Linux so everybody can have a piece of this free digital audio workstation.
Linux Multimedia Studio on Sourceforge
Donate to LMMS
This work is licensed under a GNU General Public License.