A good part of the album resides in what could be considered Beach Rock, mixed in with a healthy dose of Psychedelia: think Black Lips meets Tame Impala after having listened to the Beach Boys for an entire night next to a bonfire in whatever coastline you can imagine. There’s an actual Beach Boys cover thrown in if you’re not convinced! It’s just such a ride, and it makes a lot of sense for a compilation. It’s all rock, tremendously fun and very, very well produced. I mean, they can make a guitar crunch in ways that will have you hit the repeat button until it breaks… not that you can in a digital player, but you get my point. Oh, there’s also a Nirvana cover if you’re feeling grungy. I won’t spoil the details of the individual tracks, I’ve already sold this enough anyway, but simply know this sampler holds the potential to revitalize the youthful party-rocker within you in more ways than one.
So there you have it. Let me set the record straight: download this, get a beer and a friend, then play it out loud. You won’t regret it. This Summer Sampler #6, as intended, also serves as a rock-solid introduction to the Howlin’ Banana’s impressive repertoire. If you feel adventurous, we invite you to take a peek at their lengthy list of releases and support them if you’ve enjoyed it as much as we have. That’s all for now, happy rampaging!
Favorite tracks: A Certain Smile, The Man with the Cane, Something in the Way, 24th and Shotwell.
1. eGGs – A Certain Smile 02:49
2. Baston – Honda (Beach Boys cover) 02:37
3. Bootchy Temple – The Man with the Cane 02:40
4. It’s Sunday – Pray for the Sunshine (Ozzy & Mylee cover) 02:17
5. Foggy Tapes – Cargo (Unreleased track) 03:09
6. Cathedrale – Sometimes (Alternative mix) 03:02
7. Carambolage – Soupeur 03:23
8. Th Da Freak – Peeling the Onion (Acoustic demo) 03:40
9. Brace ! Brace ! – Whales 02:06
10. Dusty Mush – 24th & Shotwell (Demo) 02:24
11. SLIFT – Something in the Mist 03:05
12. Special Friend – Something in the Way (Nirvana cover) 01:52
13. Volage – Heartlessly Hopin’ (Crosby, Stills & Nash cover) 02:47